Monday, July 17, 2006

a bold request

Recently, someone has taken up my challenge to "be a contender - submit a post (or to submit an idea that you want ME write about" and the subject is that of praying to saints - am I for it or against it, and what are the reasons why. Now, without "tipping my hand" as it were, it should come as no surprise that I am categorically against praying to saints. I am going to look at the issue, search the scriptures to find out how exactly prayer described and to whom prayer is ascribed. Then, I will look at the specific question of whether or not praying to saints is compatible with the Biblical model.

Also, there have been some comments to my blog about the apostleship of Paul, and I want to deal with that again from a different angle. One of the issues (maybe the main one) has to do with the word “apostle” and what it means, both generally and specifically.

In short, with these two large topics along with my last two weeks of teaching Christology, I have my work cut out for me. I know that not everyone will agree with my findings and conclusions about anything that I write, but I only ask that you test what I write in light of scripture to see if it is true. If I am shown to be wrong in what I say by means of searching the scriptures, I will have to change my position so that it lines up with the truth that was once and for all delivered to the saints. If I am arguing with people who employ "philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ" (Colossians 2:8), then my response, although it will not be original, will be "Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason - I do not accept the authority of the popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other - my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. God help me. Amen."1


1 http://www.luther.de/en/worms.html

No comments:

Copyright © 2005-2010 Eric Johnson