Friday, December 15, 2006

thank you, pastor Lamm


Recently I was blog surfing and I came across a comment from a familiar name. I wasn't sure at first, but I confirmed that the writer of that particular comment was my wife's pastor when she was a young girl. I have never met the man, but I wanted to express my gratitude for his ministry in the life of my family, even before it was my family.

Here is what I wrote to him:

to Pastor Steve Lamm:

Pastor Lamm, you do not know me, but you do know my wife, Stephanie. As I understand it, she and your daughter were best friends throughout childhood, and their friendship is still something that is dear to both of them, even though the demands of adulthood and children make it more difficult to get together. However, it is not about her relationship to your daughter that I would like to comment on....

First things first: how did I come to write you this letter? Well, I was reading the Pulpit Magazine article on “Grunge Christianity” and I saw your comment. I clicked on the link that sent me to your church and I found your bio. The facts seemed to fit what I remember of Stephanie’s stories, but I had to call her to confirm. So, that is how I found you online.

Why write?

As you well know, Stephanie grew up in a non-Christian household (Catholic), and was saved at 11 by the witness of her neighbor friend. She speaks highly of her memories of the church that you pastored and welcomed her into. Her only bad experience that she told me about was the way in which your ministry at the church ended – it was painful and difficult for her (as I am sure it was for you and your family), and she never officially joined another church until after we were married. Sadly her parents are still not saved. But gloriously, God saved her brother Jeff about 4 years ago (4 years this week, actually), and so now there are more of us to evangelize her family.

Basically, I am writing to say thank you.

Thank you for raising a godly daughter to be a follower of Christ and to be the true friend that my Stephanie needed.

Thank you for the instruction that she received from you and the various teachers that she had under your ministry.

Thank you for caring for her, for baptizing her, and for equipping her at such a young age and in such a difficult situation.

You will be happy to know that she has grown up to be a godly woman, wife, and mother. We have been blessed with 4 children; Micah (3 yrs), Noah (1 yr), one who will be born in July or August, and one who we lost 2 years ago before birth.

I trust that this note will encourage you. I pray that God will bless your ministry and your family.

Gratefully,
Eric Johnson


I know that being a pastor is a thankless job many times, but at other times the knowledge of how you have been used by God can be a real encouragement. My hope is that in my ministry to the young adults and to the children of Ambassador will be used by God to mold, shape, and encourage young believers and that they would be faithful to the end of their lives.

To God alone be the glory.



1 comment:

Steve Lamm said...

Dear Eric,

Your grateful comments to me were gracious and probably one of the most encouraging letters I have ever received. I am thrilled that you could identify me and make contact through our website.

The fact that you took the effort to find me and thank me for my ministry to your wife speaks volumes about your character as a man of God. Gratitude is a diminishing trait. But you are obviously a man who has it in abundance.

My wife Mary and I think your wife Stephanie is one of the finest young women we know. She was such a good friend to our oldest daughter Stephanie. I've seen her with your oldest child and she is a great mother. I'm so glad that she found a man like you who loves the Lord and serves Him and the church.

I pastor a small church in San Diego and they are great people who love to hear the Word of God preached. There are times when I wish I had stayed in Minnesota. We have so many friends there. But, God has been gracious to our family and He has overruled my past mistakes to give me a ministry here in SD.

It's funny that you would find me on Pulpit Magazine! John MacArthur was my first pastor and I greatly admire him. So, I like to read his blogs and books. But I don't often respond. I'm glad I did this time around!

You have a worthwhile blog. I especially like the title "Contender."

Give Stephanie a hug for us. And keep teaching the Word and contending for the faith!

In the Master's Service,
Steve Lamm

Copyright © 2005-2010 Eric Johnson